Friday, January 18, 2008

Around home

Sometimes I give myself a photographic assignment, just as a means of firing up the photographic juices. For a couple of weeks I had the challenge "Colour", and I was looking for abstract ways to represent colour - the brighter the better. And the more colours, the better too!

It's surprising what you can come up with if you are prepared to think as laterally as you are able. Lots of everyday household items are pretty colourful, as I discovered. Think clothes pegs, table napkins and pantry contents for starters.

But when I was sitting at my desk, I reached into a drawer to get the stapler when the paper clips caught my eye. The ones I have at the moment are not the plain vanilla chrome-coloured ones, but these multi-coloured specimens covered in spots. Perfect!

It hardly took a moment to take them out of the drawer and set them up for a photograph. As always in photography, it's the lighting that is paramount in making an image. I lit this photograph with a single off-camera flash, and I had the clips in a white plastic box to reflect the light. The resultant picture is a wild mass of bright colours that suited my self-imposed challenge topic to a T.

EXIF: Nikon D200; Micro-Nikkor 105mm; ISO 100; 1/125 sec; f8.

TFF

No comments: