Friday, February 1, 2008

The beauty of nature



We are fortunate that nature provides us with so much photographic material. I like to photograph flowers particularly, because there is such a diverse range of shapes and colours.

This iris had such lovely shades that I just had to take a picture of it. It was in a bunch of flowers I bought home for my wife, but I think I got just as much enjoyment from them as she did.

With subtle tones like these, I generally avoid using flash, because the harsh lighting can overpower the subject so easily. But with this shot, I wanted a reasonable DOF so that I could show the fine detail of the flower. That would normally mean using a small aperture, which then leads to a slower shutter speed, which can then produce blur due to camera shake. So, for this shot,
I used a flash with a large diffuser to soften the light, and I also set my camera and lens on a tripod to ensure a stable platform. I then had enough light from the flash to shoot at the smallest aperture possible, and no possibility of a lack of sharpness in the flower.

To give the iris the prominence it deserves, the background has been slightly blurred and slightly darkened. The delicate shape of the iris, and its attractive colouring, are now the feature of the image.

EXIF: Nikon D70; Micro Nikkor 105 mm; ISO 200; 1/30 sec; f22; Nikon SB-800 flash, Lightsphere II.

TFF

No comments: