Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eyes wide open


Ever since I was a youngster, I have always wanted to visit Africa. In particular, the animals of Africa were an absolute fascination. When my niece decided to get married in Africa recently, my wife and I had a perfect opportunity to go there.

Before the wedding, we visited Kruger National Park for three days to make sure that we would see some wildlife. The weather was lovely, and we did manage to catch a glimpse of elephants, giraffe, water buffalo, white rhino and many of the various types of antelope.

Of course I was in photographic nirvana, as each day we had safaris both morning and evening, and the vehicles were open 4WDs that gave great access for photographers to take pictures of the animals.

We felt quite safe in the cabins we were staying in, even though we could hear various animal noises throughout the night. The cabins were built
fairly close to a river, and one morning I saw some crocodiles that were a little too close for comfort. They lie as motionless in the water as a log most of the time, and so are only noticed when they move. It's no wonder that they are able to fool their prey.

EXIF: Nikon D70; Nikkor 80-400mm VR; ISO 800; 1/100 sec; f5.6

TFF

No comments: