Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Knights of old


It's not every day that you come across a knight in full armour, including a sword, on a horse with livery from the middle ages, so when you do, it is best to make sure that you capture a photograph - otherwise people might tend not to believe you.

This is an actual castle, once protecting a town and dating back over a thousand years. It has over two miles of fortified walls and more than 50 spires. It is believed to have been the inspiration for the castle in Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty, and some of the scenes for Kevin Costner's Robin Hood movie were filmed here. There are daily jousting tournaments, and other medieval entertainment can also be found readily. Can you guess where it is?

It is the largest fort in Europe, situated at Carcassonne, which is in the Languedoc region of southern France. When I took this picture, I was keen to include the lush green grass and some aspects of the castle as well as the armoured knight and his horse. I normally would prefer not to have the horse facing out of the image, but in this photo the more serious faults are having cropped the horse's hooves and the top of the tower out of the frame.

But the golden rule of photography is "first, get an image", so I console myself that as I have only this one shot of the occasion, it is the best shot I have.

EXIF: film; unknown

TFF

No comments: