Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Textured wood



One of the aspects of photography that really interests me is the ability to show texture in images. Of course, just as it is with most aspects of photography, lighting is the key to being able to illustrate texture. Flat lighting removes texture - you need side lighting to be able to show things like grain and surface texture.

This wooden walkway in Rotorua, New Zealand, interested me when I saw it. It was laid out around a lake, and therefore obviously exposed to the elements. The weathered mixture of swirls and lines looked interesting, and, fortunately for me, the late afternoon sun allowed the camera to be able to see all of that texture.

I composed the shot with the timber running across the long diagonal for aesthetic reasons, and made sure that I had included a couple of the more interesting knots. Post processing consisted of a slight increase in contrast, and then a conversion to black and white.

EXIF: Nikon D200; Nikkor 18-70mm DX; ISO 200; 1/640 sec; f8.

TFF

No comments: