Thursday, March 20, 2008

The one that didn't get away


The angling arts have never been familiar to me. Once, after a morning's fishing from a friend's boat, I reeled in my line to head home only to find a dead fish on the end of it. I knew blokes who would come to work after a weekend spent fishing and recount their catches. It seemed that most of these fishermen caught far more than were needed for a family feed.

Needless to say then, the world of deep-sea fishing was entirely foreign to me until I visited the town of Russell, in the north island of New Zealand. The local sports fishing club was having a competition, and a boat brought in this catch one afternoon when I was on the jetty. The normal catch and release policy had been suspended for the week of the competition, hence this huge (dead) blue marlin being displayed. Note the blackboard - 282kg. That's some fish.

Because I saw this as being a type of photojournalism shot, I left the onlookers in the shot, and included the successful female angler and the blackboard with all the details.

EXIF: Nikon D70; Nikkor 18-70mm DX; ISO 200; 1/160 sec; f11.

TFF

No comments: