Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Blue windows


Well, it seems like I'm having a blue week. Todays image is about the repeating patterns of windows in two Brisbane office towers. I took the photo from one of our CityCats, the catamaran ferries that shuttle Brisbanites up and down the river. Taking a picture from a moving vehicle, be it car, train, plane or boat, usually presents a few problems for the photographer.

In this instance, I was standing on the front deck of the CityCat, so I did not have to contend with glass windows as you would in the other types of vehicles. My only problem was the movement of the boat, and to a certain extent I had some help there, as I was using a Nikon VR lens. The VR stands for Vibration Reduction, and there is an Active setting on these lenses designed to be stabilise the lens when you are shooting from a moving vehicle. I doubly protected myself by selecting a relatively high shutter speed in any case.

As well as the patterns of the windows in the building at the front, there are secondary patterns in the rear building too, so that even though it is the same colour, the eye can perceive the difference. I deliberately did not include the top or the base of the buildings to make sure that the image is about the colour and patterns rather than the buildings themselves.

No comments: