Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sunrise


A sunrise can often be a difficult thing to photograph. Usually there is a marked difference between the brightest parts of the image and the darker parts, making metering problematic. You have to be able to avoid blown highlights and yet provide some detail in the darker areas. Of the two choices, I prefer to lean towards avoiding blown highlights because, in my view at least, nothing detracts from a picture so much as large areas that are overexposed. For this reason, I usually bracket my exposures when I am taking photos at sunrise or sunset. This allows me to compare several images and select the best one.

Another issue about photographing sunrises is that sunrise pictures can become boring. It is important to have some other points of interest in the image besides the actual sunrise - clouds, boats or even buildings. Without reference points, the viewer can get lost in the sun and sky.


Although the picture above has captured a dramatic sunrise over a darkened horizon, and there are some impressive cloud formations above that, I think that the image could have been improved if there had been a tree (or a balloon!) present.

EXIF: Nikon D70; Nikkor 18-70mm DX; ISO 200; 1/400 sec; f7.1.

TFF

No comments: