Monday, April 21, 2008

Underneath the arches


This week we are going to be looking at some bridges. I've always enjoyed photographing bridges - it must be because I desperately wanted a Meccano set to be able to build them when I was young. Bridges and doorways are amongst my most photographed subjects, which would be pretty boring to many people, although I do know of one person who was contemplating a coffee table book of pictures of the bridges of Venice.

To start, I am providing two bridges for the price of one. Taken from a Brisbane CityCat, this picture shows a series of arches of the William Jolly Bridge (commonly called the Grey Street Bridge) in the background (bottom of image); and the single arch of the Merivale Rail Bridge that connects South Brisbane Station with Roma Street Station in the foreground (top). I like the repeating patterns of arches with the blue of the sky and water surrounding them.

One of my current gripes is the current ridiculous climate that surrounds the photography of infrastructure here in Australia. Apparently, terrorists would begin any campaign by taking photographs of power stations, railway stations and bridges. Go figure. It's not like Google Earth and the soon to be launched Google Street View wouldn't provide the info. But governments desperate to be seen to be doing something have provided public servants with ridiculous powers to prevent you and me from taking pictures around infrastructure. A person was forced to delete pictures taken at a suburban railway station recently, and threatened with an "anti-terrorism fine" if he didn't comply. I bet the thought of being fined by Queensland Rail would have any terrorist quaking in his boots!

Don't get me started!

EXIF: Nikon D70; Nikkor 70-200mm VR; ISO 200; 1/500 sec; f9.

TFF

No comments: